Maker of sock critters, shaker of cocktails, baker of occasionally edible experiments involving peanut butter and chocolate. If you'd like a customised cuddly critter, tweet me @makeitwednesday



Thursday, February 24, 2011

Unpredictable pattern









Sewing patterns are funny things. The same pattern, depending on the fabric you use and how it's stitched, can result in several completely different critters (or garments, or curtains, or zombie hamsters, or whatever it is you're sewing). But you'd expect that if you used the same fabric and the same method to stitch it up each time, you'd get a consistent result.





Well, you might. But I don't.





I made a basic pattern for a bunny last year and made several from the same fabric, using the same technique each time. I foolishly thought they'd all be the same, which would be good as my friend Marion had asked me to make two identical bunnies for her two nieces. Somehow I ended up with one rather warped, leaning-to-one-side rabbit, to which I've since added fangs and a long pink nose...












... and this guy, whose arms don't match - one is heaps larger than the other. I turned him into a Zombunny with an exploding heart.



























And finally, I ended up with these cute little ballerina bunnies, which are almost exactly identical




... except that one is quite a traditionally thin ballerina bunny and the other is more generously proportioned, and when they're next to each other it's really obvious! Gah!!




















































No comments:

Post a Comment