Maker of sock critters, shaker of cocktails, baker of occasionally edible experiments involving peanut butter and chocolate. If you'd like a customised cuddly critter, tweet me @makeitwednesday



Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Material girl





So, another year, another smug declaration of 'I don't make New Year's resolutions' followed swiftly by 'but this year I am definitely going to tidy up my craft room and do something with that mountain of fabric that's threatening to smother me in my sleep'. (Does looking lovingly through it, saying 'I should do something with all this fabric' and then piling it back in the fabric cupboard* count as 'doing something with all my fabric'?).


*By 'cupboard' I mean 'assorted jam-packed boxes shoved beneath (and around and on top of) my craft table' (and in the bedroom, and anywhere else in the house not already filled with other assorted crap I've hoarded for reasons I can't remember, but I'm sure will come in handy one day).


Oh how I would love an actual fabric cupboard. Not a cupboard made of fabric, you understand, though that would be kind of cool. Though possibly, in my house at least, it would eventually fall victim to either:

a) my two cats, who view anything vertical made of fabric as a scratching post - including the couch, their two actual scratching posts, bolts of fabric and my legs when I'm wearing jeans

or

b) me and my fabric scissors and some half-baked idea of remaking it into 'something really awesome' that would no doubt end up as yet another UFO. That's UnFinished Object - I do not make spaceships out of fabric (yet... although... hmmm, that could be fun... I could use that silvery fabric that I tried making into a top-with-cool-swishy-over-one-shoulder-cape-thingy that I thought would work out OK but made me look like an extra from a David Bowie video clip circa 1985... and not one of the glamorous, super hot ones...)

or

c) worse still, a craftastrophe... much like the aforementioned top.


Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, I was floating about in the vast recesses of my mind again, sorry about that. What's your resolution/ crafty plan for the year? Do you bother making promises to yourself that you're likely to not keep, or do you just drift along and see what the year brings? (Not that I'd know about either of those things from personal experience. Ahem.)


This year, I'm going to try to make one crafty thing each week and blog about it so that at the end of the year, instead of looking back and wailing 'I didn't do anything with this year again!' (oh come on now, melodrama is part of the 'reflecting on times past' part of NYE, surely), I'll be able to say 'ooh, look at all the things I made... so that's why I haven't had time to declutter my wardrobe/ write a bestseller/ work out the meaning of life!'





No comments:

Post a Comment