Maker of sock critters, shaker of cocktails, baker of occasionally edible experiments involving peanut butter and chocolate. If you'd like a customised cuddly critter, tweet me @makeitwednesday



Friday, January 14, 2011

Palmer-ing off critters to musos



A few of my pals have been asking WHY I made conjoined elephant twins. I am tempted to simply say, why not? But the truth is it's because Evelyn Evelyn - the "conjoined twins" who sing one of my very favourite songs, Elephant Elephant - are touring here soon and I wanted to make them a present.


The observant among you will notice there are quote marks around "conjoined twins". That is because the "twins" look remarkably like Amanda Palmer (swoon) and Jason Webley. You can read more about that here.


As for Amanda Palmer - she is my very favourite musician. This pic was taken a few years ago at my favourite bar, the Butterfly Club, after she'd done a slumber party gig there. Yep, we all turned up in our PJs at midnight and listened to the amazing Amanda pound the piano into the wee hours of the morning. And when the show was over I gave her the black rabbit you see her clutching in the pic. I'd made him just a few hours before the show and dressed him in a little stripey jumper made from an old sock.


I guess you could say I have a slightly stalkerish (in the non-creepy way, of course) obsession with giving Amanda critters whenever I have the chance. It's my way of saying that I think she's fantastic. I wish I could say so in words but I turn into a nervous wreck around people I admire so much, and generally end up babbling incoherently before running away. If only "being cool around your idols" had been offered in high school (along with "how to walk in high heels"), adult life would be so much easier. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment